Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Red Deer and Mushroom Burgers


Yes, this is another one of my many meat purchases. Honestly, if we didn't buy any food for a couple weeks, we'd probably be fine. But I have a weakness for fresh, local meat. And whenever I'm standing in front of it, I feel the need to buy it. Luckily our freezer isn't very big. If we had a deep freeze it would be full. Just as our little one is. This purchase was made at one of my favourite places, the Chelsea Smokehouse. But the meat itself is from La Maison du Gibier in Quebec. My husband barbecued these tasty treats and served them on a toasted bun with mayo, roasted red peppers, green onion and melted port cheddar. I loved every second of it. The taste, unlike the texture, did not seem that gamy to me, it actually tasted like (and don't laugh) vegetable thins crackers. I knew when I was eating it that the flavour was familiar. It was my husband that made the connection. If you've never had any of these fine meats, venison, elk, bison, ostrich, quail, you have no idea what you're missing! Yes it's a bit different, but that's what makes it so exciting. One can only have chicken and beef so many times. Plus the fat content and quality of these meats are often way healthier. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

REMI THERIAULT said...

Si vous êtes ever dans le coin de Ripon, va aux Fermes Moreau. Faut essayer la rilette d'agneau et puis le porc fumé.

Y'a aussi des saucisses d'agneau et du bison. Ça vaut la peine d'y aller.

Rachelle said...

Ah yeah? J'y vais souvent parce que j'ai une amie à Tremblant. Good to know! Je vais y aller pour sure!