Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ahora


This was my second time here. It's a cute little Mexican restaurant in a basement on Dalhousie. When you walk in you immediately feel like you're somewhere different and authentic. It's very colourful and fun, which makes the fact you're in a basement not so bad. They were packed so we waited for a table. It's kind of a cafeteria style set up where, once you sit down and decide what you're going to eat you have to get up and order it at the counter. I'm not a huge fan of that but whatever. They also have a salsa bar, so you can try all the different kinds and take as much or as little as you want. My girlfriends and I shared a bottle of wine and I ordered the Burrito de Camarones which has shrimp, cheese, red and green peppers, onions, rice and sour cream and a salad on the side (you get your choice of salad, beans or rice). From the salsa bar, i'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to hot stuff, I grabbed the mild salsa and a handful of coriander – I LOVE coriander. I ordered the same thing the last time I was there because I have an avocado allergy and this is one of the only items on the menu that doesn't have avocado in it. I absolutely hate that there is a food item I'm allergic to. It's the only one, but I hate to have to special order anything, I hate being “that” person. So when I cut into my burrito and a big chunk of avocado came out I was totally bummed. They were really good about it and made me another one. Because they were so busy, it took forever to get our food but I got my second burrito very quickly. The ingredients they use are very fresh and the food is super flavourful. Other than the food being slow that night the service was really good. This place is very inexpensive, apps range from $4 to $7 and the mains from $5 to $13. You should definitely check it out.


Ahora on Urbanspoon

No comments: