Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Standard

Formerly the old Mash restaurant and bar, The Standard is your typical pub style restaurant. This wasn't my first time there. It's a good place to start before a night of drinking and to grab a quick bite. The food is ok. Not great, not terrible, ok. I started off with a Mill Street Organic, my new favorite light beer, and the Calamari. It was pretty standard (no pun intended), not too greasy, light, and slightly burnt, which I kind of liked. For my main it was a toss up between the Mini Burgers, which are quite fun, three 2 1/2 oz patties with lettuce, tomato and onions, or the Angry Burger. I went with the Angry Burger, and substituted the meat patty for a veggie. The Angry Burger came with a cajun style spice, roasted garlic, charred red peppers and a spicy mayo. The description sounds better than it was. The bun wasn't toasted and the flavours weren't as great as the description sounds. But again, it wasn't bad. It was ok. I had this with half and half sides of sweet potato fries and salad. The dressing on the salad was great, very tasty. I must say though, I do prefer the food at their market location over the Elgin location. The atmosphere is quite nice, the service is usually ok, tonight however, it was slow. And they have a good selection of beers, including a few of my favorites, Red Stripe, Beau's and Mill Street Organic. Prices range from $7 to $9 for an appetizer and $11 to $28 for a main. I probably would have had my first tip jar submission tonight (finally!) but a good friend of ours was in town from Montreal and picked up the tab – thanks Mark!


Standard Tavern on Urbanspoon

No comments: