Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Caffé Zucchero Espresso Bar


$
Given that this family-owned Italian eatery is only a 15 minute walk from my house, I'm surprised this was my first visit. It's quite charming inside, lots of beautiful sunshine beaming in, and super friendly staff with perma-smiles even through the busiest lunch hour (be sure to show up 15 minutes before noon or when the tables turn over just after 12:30). They also offer takeout.

For a lunch spot, I was surprised at the size of the menu – selections of soup, salad, pasta, pizza, panini. Even omelets offered during lunch (they do breakfast as well).

I opted for the vegetarian pizza and salad that came highly recommended by my friend Amy. It was amazing. The dough was so soft and airy, it looked thick but wasn't too heavy at all. The tomato sauce on it was delish and the toppings plentiful. Fresh crisp romain filled the plate below the two slices and was topped with chopped red and green peppers and their yummy house vinaigrette.

The homemade treats lining the front cash area beg to be taken home with you – I left with two biscotti and two squares. They even have Gelato!

This cozy café is open weekdays from 8am to 3pm. Apps range from $4.25 to $5.50 and mains from $8.75 to $10.95.

Caffé Zucchero
340 Queen Street, Ottawa
613-560-5829

Caffe Zucchero on Urbanspoon