Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tennessy Willems


$$+
With all the hype around this new restaurant, it didn't take much convincing from our friends Mark and Stacey to get us to join them for dinner at Tennessy Willems. I've never been a huge pizza person, but give me a paper thin crust from a wood burning oven and some interesting toppings and I'm in.

It was much smaller inside than I imagined, and the lights a bit brighter. Tables and walls lacking in character, but once your food is in front of you, your surroundings vanish. Between the four of us we shared 2 apps – the mackerel plate and the house salad.

The mackerel plate was done up using the Whalesbone's delicious smoked mackerel, apple beet slaw, lemon crème fraîche and some homemade bread. We savoured every bite, this plate being one of my favourite of the evening.

The house salad was mixture of peppery arugula, yummy wood oven roasted wild mushrooms and shavings of Grana Padano parm in a mild maple and sherry vinaigrette.

They have a few mains on the menu that are not pizza, but when in Rome... We shared 3. My husband says he judges a pizza place on their Margherita, and this one passed the test with it's savoury fire roasted tomato sauce, fiore di latte mozzarella and fresh basil.

The second pizza we decided to go with was the duck confit with caramelized onion, white truffle oil, melt-in-your-mouth Riopelle cheese and rich duck confit. A great pie to share, but I don't think I could do a whole one to myself.

Our third pizza was a toss up between the wild boar and the chorizo. I beat Mark at rock-paper-scissors, bringing my choice of wild boar to the table. I think this one could have used some form of sauce on the base because it was quite dry. But the mouthwatering boar sausage made up for it – I just wished there was more of it it was so good! Other delectable ingredients on this one included caramelized apple, heavenly sage that went so beautifully with everything, roasted garlic and sharp cheddar.

Service good, apps ranging from $10 to $12 and mains $15 to $18.

1082 Wellington Street Ottawa
613-722-0000

Tennesse Williams on Urbanspoon

No comments: