Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Looking for something to do this weekend?

As long as the summer gods stay on our side this coming weekend, I can guarantee there won't be a lack of things to do in Ottawa. But if you're at a loss for something a little different from the norm, why not head out to Domaine Perrault? Only 20 minutes outside of Ottawa in Navan, this little gem is the perfect getaway treat.

A few weeks ago, my friend Holly initiated a visit to this neighbouring winery. And she, being a certified sommelier and wine lover, makes going on an adventure like this one that much more exciting because she knows all the right questions to ask. I learned so much in my 2 hours there. Holly's detailed recap on the visit can be found here. Bernard, Denis and Julie are the perfect hosts!

And yes, even though I've been, I want to return again. And again. I'm an avid cyclist who rewards myself with food. And this is the perfect spot to stop for a break. Pack a lunch and they will reward your trip out there with a delectable wine pairing. The perfect picnic! (I'm sure a beautiful summer drive out would be just as glorious.)

Here's a shot of the vines a few weeks ago. I'm excited to see how they've changed.

Must tries while you're there:

- Marilys Rosé - the perfect summer staple. I've gone through 4 bottles since my visit.
- Chardonnay
- Nectar des Neiges - a delicious dessert wine with tropical flavours
- Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sabrevois blend

And their absolute to-die-for Syrah reserve, that I don't think has been bottled yet, but if you get there and it has, it's a must.

Looking forward to the weekend! (yeah-yeah, still a few days away)

1 comment:

Holly Bruns said...

We have to go back soon and see those vines again. Nice post! And nice picture.