Sunday, May 29, 2011

Siam Bistro


$$
The past few weeks I've been able to squeeze time out of my friend Marysol and I've been enjoying every second of it. Our last get-together was over dinner at Siam Bistro. A recommendation from another foodie, chrisonthego, is what brought us there.

My first impression as I walked in was that of surprise. The interior was much nicer than I expected. Long and narrow with warm orange-shaded walls, dimly lit and very inviting.

Knowing there would be some spice in some of our dishes, we started off ordering a bottle of Strewn Riesling Gewurztraminer.

We were off to a good start. Our first dish, Tood Mun Pla, 6 fried fish patties served with sweet and spicy cucumber sauce topped with a layer of crushed peanuts. The texture was a bit odd at first bite, but once the initial shock wore off our feelings for the dish grew fonder. They were perfectly fried, not too greasy, and the dipping sauce, which had the consistency of honey, was delightful. It took all of me not to lick the bowl clean.

Next up, Pad Thai. One of my favourite dishes in the world. Having heard such wonderful things I was very excited to try their version. Unfortunately this dish did not wow me. The noodles were a little overcooked, and although the flavours were nice, could have been slightly punchier. Nonetheless, we enjoyed our dish.

The Gang Ped Moo Pah, or what they call the ultimate hot Thai curry, was indeed that. Bursting with flavour and a wonderful amount of spice, this dish is a mound of white rice's best friend. Red and green peppers interlaced with wild boar soaked in this heavenly sauce.

We ended the entire meal with a delicious tea. We didn't know what they had brought us but we're convinced it was a verbena tea. So comforting.

Unfortunately towards the end of the evening, the quality of the service was reduced, ending with a request that we leave because they were closing. Still not quite finished our tea, or our wine for that matter, we surprisingly looked at each other and made our way towards the door. We had already paid our bill, and it was barely 30 minutes past closing time, with the last table having left only minutes before. But one particular woman was adamant to get us out of there.

I wished we were more than two, it would have allowed us to try more dishes. I guess it just means we'll have to go back some time. My hope is that, if I do, the Pad Thai will come back to surprise me, and that the service will jump back for a higher end result in my books. Apps range from $4.75 to $8.95 and mains $10.95 to $16.95.

1268 Wellington Street West, Ottawa
613-728-3111

Siam Bistro on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Mélodie said...

I tried it for the 1st time too a few months ago to change the habitual Coriander Thai. I really liked the food and loved the tea but I agree, service was ordinary. I received my order at least 5-10 minutes before my husband got his. He didn't like what I had so I couldn't share, so it was a bit awkward eating solo. Good food, though.

Anonymous said...

Very cool blog, I see that you got Chrisonthego as a friend. Together with him I have swapped links and views, I wish we could do the same. How about trying a collaboration? We have nothing to lose.

Anonymous said...

My site is www.todaychef.com