Sunday, November 20, 2011

Back Lane Café

I've been wanting to try this place out since they opened. The rustic and warm decor inside is just so inviting. Although I was thinking my first visit would be for dinner, I'm not disappointed at all that it ended up being for breakfast. In fact, I will probably return again and again for this same dish.

My friend Amy and I started out sharing the poached pear in maple syrup. For some reason, I expected the pear to be warm but it wasn't. It was good cold, but I still think it would have been better heated.

The corned beef hash was the jaw-dropper. Delicious chunks of meat, potato and onion topped with poached eggs and a spicy salsa. I did not want this meal to end. Both Amy and I opted for this after listening to the drool-worthy description our waiter gave us.

Service was great, food very yummy and prices a little higher than I would expect for breakfast. The poached pear was $6 and the hash $14. I had also looked at the eggs benedict at first which was listed at $16. I can't wait to come back for dinner!

1087 Wellington Street West, Ottawa
613-695-2999

Back Lane Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Holly Bruns said...

Good to know Rachelle. I feel like I'm never sure where to go for breakfast (aside from diners). You've inspired me to give it a try. Thanks!

agjackk said...

Aww, looks like I missed the hash. I went for brunch... didnt think they would have a different menu for brunch and breakfast or maybe they changed it since you visited.

We should hit some places together!