Thursday, August 7, 2008

Robin des Bois – Montreal



So far i've only written about Ottawa area restaurants, but we often travel so I decided I will also review the restaurants I go to outside the city. Especially ones that are worth trying out.

I have been wanting to try this restaurant for quite a while now. They are quite unique in that a lot of their staff are volunteers. They are a not for profit restaurant and all their profits from their food and product sales are given to local charities in the community, if you go to their website you can see the list of charities.

They have a wonderful lunch time table d'hôte with prices varying from $12.50 to $18.50. I started off with a celery salad (similar to coleslaw) and my husband had the gaspacho. Both were very good – the salad was nice and light whereas the gaspacho was very spicy and flavourful. For my main I had scallops and shrimp in an orange saffron sauce with couscous and fennel. The flavours were delectable and the portions were perfect. I also tried my husbands cod cakes, they weren't to die for but they too were very good. The meal also came with your choice of tea or coffee. If you'd rather not have the table d'hôte you can get your main course only for $2 less.

The service was wonderful and they made you feel very welcome. They are on Saint Laurent so there's a lot of noisy traffic, but the inside is warm and relaxing. They were a bit slow at the end when they got really busy and took a long time to bring our bill. But I wasn't in a rush so that was fine. I will definitely go again. I'm excited to try their dinner. If you go I strongly recommend a reservation. I'd tried to make one for dinner one time and they were booked solid.

No comments: