Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Steamed Asian-style Sea Bass and Veggies


There's nothing quite like fish caught from someone you know. Just like Jenn and Eric's trout, I consider something like this one of the best gifts of all.

My husband's cousin Mark caught this beauty out East in the Atlantic Ocean. Some went to my father-in-law, the rest, to us – 2 massive pieces that have been sitting in our freezer waiting for that oh-so-perfect moment. That perfect moment was last night, and then again tonight (that's how big the pieces were!) And, unsurprisingly, my husband prepared them beautifully.

If you are so lucky to get fresh caught fish delivered to your door, I highly recommend this recipe.

What you'll need
4 fillets of sea bass (about 6oz each), skin removed
Sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
1 cup of finely sliced shiitake mushrooms
2tbs chopped fresh cilantro
4 green onions, sliced diagonally
2tbs regular or chile-infused sesame oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
sesame seeds (optional, we added this the second night)

What to do
Bring water to a boil under a metal or bamboo steamer. Sprinkle sea bass with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Place on a piece of parchment paper inside steamer. Top with ginger and shiitakes, cover and steam 15 minutes. Remove fish and place on a plate. Sprinkle cilantro and green onions on fish. Drizzle with juices from parchment.

In a small saut̩ pan, heat oil over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until smoking. Pour some oil over each fillet to wilt cilantro and green onions. Drizzle plates with soy sauce. On our second helping, we also added black toasted sesame seeds Рyum!

Enjoy with your favourite veg. In our case, carrots and asparagus. And a lovely Chardonnay – we cracked open an unfiltered Chardonnay from Norman Hardie that we brought back from our Prince Edward County tour.

1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Rachael, this looks and sounds delightful. This was my first visit to your blog and after reading this post I was lured into reading some that came earlier. I really enjoyed my visit. I'll be back. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary