Thursday, June 3, 2010

Talay Thai

I wasn't sure what to expect when I walked into Talay Thai. The last time I was in this restaurant was 10 years ago and it was called Gina's. Greasy breakfast, BLTs, and if you couldn't smoke, it hadn't been long since the law was passed. I'm not sure what was there between Gina's and Talay, but I do know that the transformation between the two is incredible. Beautiful, warm and welcoming was the feeling I got within seconds. We were lucky enough to get the table right up against the window looking out onto Bank street. Colourful orchids lined the windowsill, distracting the eye from the view of the gas station across the street. And nothing beats natural light, especially when you're shooting food with your iPhone (I didn't have my usual camera with me).

We started off with Por Pia Sod – curried tofu, mushroom, lettuce, lemongrass and basil wrapped in warm rice paper and served with a heavenly, spicy peanut sauce. I wanted to lick out the dish it was so good. I will definitely be back for this app!

Next my husband and I shared two dishes, a classic Pad Thai with al dente fried rice noodles, meaty shrimp, egg, bean sprouts and peanuts, and the Talay Ob Woonsen – steamed shrimp and squid with vermicelli noodles, chunks of fresh ginger, scallions, coriander and black pepper. Although good, I can't say the Pad Thai was the best I've ever had (without anything to compare it to I would have given 3 stars), but the other two dishes were truly delicious.

Service was warmhearted and prices reasonable. Apps range from $4.95 to $7.50 and mains from $10.95 to $14.95.


Talay Thai on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I tried Talay Thai a few months ago and enjoyed it as well. I had also been to Gina's in the past and wasn't sure what to expect but I loved the decor and the service. We will be going back.

Brittany G said...

Siam Bistro on Wellington in my opinion had the best pad thai in the city hands down!

those rice wraps sound delicious though!

Rachelle said...

great to know! I'll have to try it. the rice wraps were mouthwatering!