Thursday, April 28, 2011

Upcoming Yummy Food Events

Almost every time I leave the city for some time, I come back appreciating it even more. And for many reasons. The main one of course, is food-related.

Take May for example. Looking through my calendar, in the first week alone, I've got 4 food-related events going on (and there were more available!). All are very exciting and I'm just counting down the days to each mouthwatering-good-time.


Need I say more? If this doesn't scream spring/summer, I don't know what does. May 1st is the first day of the Ottawa Farmers' market. Fresh, local yumminess.

Location: Lansdowne Park


This Tuesday, May 3rd event is now sold out. And for good reason. The event is a food and wine-lovers dream, with over 90 restaurants and caterers and dozens of wineries and breweries, including Les Fougères, Courtyard, Fifth Town, Pelee Island, The Grange of Prince Edward and so many more. You can indulge until your heart's content for only $75. And that money does double-duty, both filling your tummy and funding local charities like the Boys and Girls Club, Harmony House, Youville Centre and so many more.

I attended for the first time last year and had a blast. If you didn't manage to get a ticket this year, I suggest you mark your calendar for next year as this is one event that shouldn't be missed.



On Wednesday, May 4th, I'll be taking a more relaxed approach, sitting back and slowly salivating as I watch renowned Prairie chefs Alexander Svenne and Dan Walker demonstrate their signature culinary styles. I believe tickets are still available for this one, but surely not for long if it's anything like other events I've been to at the NAC and hosted by Chef Michael Blackie.

With dishes like Northern pike roe, Saskatoon raised Wagyu rib eye, pickerel cheek ceviche, red wine-rosemary cured elk loin and crispy baked hazelnut glutinous rice ball with a tarragon-cheesecake core, I'm certain I'll be leaving in awe.

And at only $75, I don't know anywhere else where you get a behind-the-scenes cooking view, 5-course tasting plates and wine. I can't wait!!

Location: NAC - 53 Elgin Street


This is the first of its kind – with everything from gourmet foods (Black Cat, Pascale's and Whalesbone to name a few), to used clothes to records and more. Only $2 between 11am and 1pm and $5 after that on Saturday, May 7. You can even set up your own table for $25.

I've always enjoyed Kelp weekends, band after band after band, and mmmmmm memories of pulled pork sandwiches. This one's obviously going to be much bigger on the food side!

Location: Dom Polski SPK - 379 Waverly

No comments: