Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Scallop Ceviche and Lobster


This is by far the best birthday ever! My entire day was filled with amazing surprises. From the moment I woke up, receiving a weekend getaway at Niagara on-the-Lake in September (stay tuned for some fantastic wine and food reviews), a new bike rack (that we can trust), a fantastic lunch and beautiful flowers all from my husband. And as if that wasn't enough, he ended the day with this beautiful plate of food for dinner. I consider myself to be the luckiest woman alive every single day when I sit down to eat my husband's cooking. 

Knowing my love for lobster, every year my husband treats me to this heavenly crustacean, and this one was huge! It had just been cooked too, so pretty warm still on the inside. With that, he also made a scallop ceviche. Inspired by our raw cooking event at the Urban Element, he bought some fresh bay scallops that had just come in. We tried a few slices before he mixed everything together, and as chef Scott Adams said during the event, it should taste like the ocean – and it totally did. My husband sliced the scallops into very small pieces and mixed them with chopped red onion, dill, garlic, a few peas fresh from the pod, a few capers, some cucumber, lemon, lime, olive oil, dijon and a bit of salt. The aromatic dill, salty capers and piquant chopped garlic were the perfect combination for the richness of the scallops. The peas also added a fun texture since they too were raw and slightly crunchy. My husband served this breathtaking concoction over some thinly sliced cucumbers, romain and alongside some mild, wild asparagus drizzled with truffle oil. Yummy!!

No comments: