Saturday, July 4, 2009

Quail Stuffed with Poultry, Foie Gras and French Plums


If you're not a cook, or if you prefer to spend time with your dinner guests rather than in the kitchen, this is the perfect meal idea. Yesterday evening my husband was out and my very best friend from back home was in town. I decided to serve foie gras stuffed quail since to me, it's decadent, but also very easy to do. I picked up these biscuit-like balls of yumminess from the Chelsea Smokehouse. I've bought them before, my husband cooked them the last time, and they were to die for. All you need to do is pop them in the oven. Sounds easy right? Well, when my husband made them, they were cooked to perfection. I on the other hand, over cooked them last night. I'm not perfect in the kitchen. And it's ok because they were still very good. With these I served some mixed greens with green onion and a raspberry balsamic vinaigrette and microwavable, yes microwavable, risotto. My husband picked it up for me at La Bottega in the market. 2 minutes in the microwave and presto! Not nearly as good as risotto from scratch, but it did the trick. I added some butter and parm to it as it recommended on the package directions. Total prep time for this meal, approximately 5 minutes!

Before our main course, we had some munchies – Cacciatore sausage, Fourme D'Ambert blue cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano, Canadian Brie and fresh figues. I've never had fresh figues before. What a fantastic addition to a plate of cheese.

We also drank probably one of the best wines I've ever had. My friend Dino had dropped this off for me one evening and since I was already into a second or third bottle of wine that night, recommended I save it. So glad I did. 2003 Chateau Belair (St Emilion) from France.

No comments: