Sunday, March 1, 2009

Quail Stuffed with Poultry and Onions Caramelized with Port


I slowed down on posting towards the end of this week. I guess I may have been getting a little bored with it all. That and the only meals I ate were ones I made and one from a not-so-good restaurant that I won't name. I thought to myself, I hope this doesn't end my blogging, I do love talking about great food, but when you're not having great food, the spark goes away. Until today! My husband and I decided we were going to go for a drive to the Chelsea Smokehouse. I was so excited, my husband had never been there before and I was eager to show him what he'd been missing. I think he may have been almost just as excited as I was the first time I walked in there. We had a great chat with the owner, who by the way is one of the nicest women you'll ever meet, and we left with some fabulous meat, poultry and fish including quail, lamb, duck confit, lemon pepper smoked salmon and this satisfying quail stuffed with poultry and caramelized onions. The rich flavour of the stuffing made me feel like I was eating at a fancy restaurant. It tasted similar to one of the paté's I had bought on another occasion from the smokehouse – bursting with flavour. Thank god my husband is the one who cooked it. I probably would have screwed up this little masterpiece. He seared it in a pan to start then put it in the oven and added a maple mustard glaze on it. Served along side some spinach and roasted red pepper soup, this dinner was to die for – mostly because of the quail. Here's a photo of how it looked before it was cooked. And if you've never been to the smokehouse, what are you waiting for? Seriously.
 

No comments: