Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Quail in a Port Reduction and Broccoli


When dinner smells as good as it did tonight while my husband was making it, it's very difficult to not start shoveling food down my throat. It smelled so sweet and tangy and I just wanted to start eating right away. Good thing I didn't or I would have spoiled the best dinner ever. Yes, that's right, EVER. Ok, maybe not ever, but it's right up there with other best dinners ever. We bought some quail from the Chelsea Smokehouse, my favourite place (next to home and my husband's cooking of course). They have tons of local meats and poultry along with their own smoked fish. My husband blanketed the quail with a velvety port reduction that could have easily been mistaken for chocolate sauce. I came very close to licking my plate by the end of it but held myself back and used my fingers instead. This magical concoction can be made by mixing together 1/4 cup of port, 1/2 cup red wine, 2 tbs balsamic vinegar, some maple syrup, maple mustard, shallots, garlic and thyme. Boil it right down until only a third is left and then pour it into a bowl through a sieve to get rid of all the chunky bits. It is truly amazing.

No comments: