Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Love Summer


Summer is the best season of all. Fall used to be my favourite, with all the beautiful colours surrounding you. But there's something to be said about those first bites of fresh veggies. The taste of carrots that haven't been out of the ground more than a few hours remind me so much of being a kid and picking stuff out of my grandmother's garden.


Inspired by our evening at Marysol's, we couldn't help but replicate it for our 5th wedding anniversary (plus she bought us 4 lovely bowls that showcase the selection of carrots, cucumber and tomatoes beautifully). Fresh veggies, heavenly cheeses and meats. And enough wine to bring us late into the evening.


We started off with Nino Franco Prosecco and then indulged in a wine I bought a couple months ago, to die for – Bonny Doon's Le Cigare Volant, a blend of Grenache, Mourvèdre and Syrah, and a bit of Carignane and Cinsault. This wine isn't the easiest to find, but I came across it at the SAQ in Mont Tremblant. I bought it especially for last night.


Tonight, we basically had the same meal (as if I can resist leftovers like this!), but over another bottle. I will tell you right now, run as fast as you can to the LCBO and pick up a bottle of this delicious wine, it just came out last weekend in their vintages. I picked it out knowing that the grape similarities over last night would be the perfect fit. Although the chocolate and smokiness of this wine was far more obvious. Pikes Clare Valley 2007, Shiraz, Mourvèdre and Grenache from Australia.

2 comments:

The Benny's said...

I love Nino Franco, but it's not always easy to find at LCBO...

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

Gorgeous carrots! I am on my way to the LCBO now to get some of that Pike's. Way to tempt me.