Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Saltlik Steakhouse – Banff


I just got home from spending 4 nights in Banff. A massive group of us were out there for a wedding. Because there were so many things going on and so many people to round up, going out for a nice dinner wasn't really an option. But on our last night there, when all the festivities were done and many people had gone home, we planned a nice dinner out.

We finally decided on Saltlik. It's a pretty big restaurant with giant windows at the front, letting all the natural light in. We made our way up to the second floor and were seated at the back next to a nice fireplace (perfect for the winter months), but even unlit offered a warming feeling.


Their menu offered many steak options (obviously), but also ribs, chicken and fish. I was extremely pleased with my choice of appetizer. My husband and I shared the Duck Tacos – velvety braised duck so moist and tender, Asian bbq sauce, basil and cilantro cream served in light and crispy wonton tacos and topped with fresh micro greens. I seriously could have ordered just that for myself as a main and been completely content. We were definitely off to a fabulous start!


For my main I went with the Petit Filet with a classic Béarnaise sauce, perfectly tangy and not overpowering at all. My meat was cooked exactly the way I ordered it, rare – bright red throughout.


There were many sides to choose from to go with the meat, that decision was probably the toughest. Since they recommend sharing (the portions of the sides are pretty huge and are bought separately from the meat), my husband and I chose ours together and went with the meaty Skillet Fried Mushrooms and Scallop Potatoes smothered in melted cheese and sprinkled with chives. Both were absolutely fantastic. Other options included Snow Crab Legs, Garlic Buttered Broccoli, Grilled Asparagus, Skinny Fries and more.

The service was great, the atmosphere perfect and best of all, they were able to accomodate our group of 10. Slightly overpriced, with apps ranging from $9 to $15, mains from $18 to $39 and sides from $5 to $13, but somewhat expected given the massive tourist count.

www.saltliksteakhouse.com

Saltlik Steakhouse on Urbanspoon

No comments: