Friday, May 28, 2010

Oz Kafé



Nothing in the world compares to dining with someone who loves food as much as you. The excited feeling I get when served a delicious meal is further heightened when in the company of someone savouring every bite as intensely as I am. Which is why I think I need to eat more meals with Marysol.

Last night we got together at Oz Kafé. We were lucky enough to get a spot on their tiny patio in the beautiful outdoors. Although the view isn't much to brag about, being lower than street level, none of that mattered as we were so engaged in conversation, refreshing wine and good food. And once the sun went down, the only spotlight on our food was the candlelight. Perfect.

As much as possible, I try to eat as many things as I can on a menu. Whether that means begging others for a bite of their dish (sorry), or simply sharing with someone else. So of course I was elated when Marysol wanted to share a few different things.

We started off with a lovely Pinot Gris Private Reserve from Peller Estate.

Our first course was one we hoped would set the tone for the evening. Probably one of the best tuna dishes I've ever had. It was one of their specials and I can't even describe to you how awesome it was. Seared to perfection, fresh slices of delicate tuna placed flawlessly over a crisp cucumber salad. A dollop of thick, whipped lemon cream lay next to it, ready to be smeared over each piece. And one of the best things I've ever tried, fried capers. I thought I really liked capers, I now adore them when cooked this way.

Next we had the Oz Poutine. A tower of scalloped potatoes, separated by rows of melted Balderson old cheddar and caramelized onions. A grilled apple crowned the top and added dimension to the centre. Rich, meaty cuts of smoked duck and jus added to the overall yumminess of the plate. A rich man's poutine would be my description.

Next was the duck special, hearty slices served with a sweet rhubarb compote (my favourite part of the dish), fresh grilled asparagus and a flavourful potato salad, spiced from the mouthwatering mustard seed. Unfortunately no photo for this one. None of the shots did the plate justice.

We decided to pass on dessert since our first course was still quite prominent in our minds. Neither one of us saw anything wrong with ordering tuna for dessert. So that's what we did, along with a sparkling wine that I think was created especially for this dish.

Although none of the other dishes wowed us as much as the first, they were still very good. That great food, along with phenomenal service definitely makes this a place to come back to again and again.

Apps range from $5 to $12, and mains from $13 to $25. They even have the choice of small or large portions on some items.


Oz Kafe on Urbanspoon

No comments: