Thursday, May 6, 2010

Slow Cooked Ribs with Whipped Cauliflower and Fiddleheads


Have I told you lately how much I adore my husband? I've been so busy this past week, I haven't had time to post every amazing meal I've had. Although all have been very worthy of recognition. On Monday night my husband made me squash ravioli in a homemade pesto, last night was juicy filet mignon with grilled sweet potatoes, and then tonight, oh. my. god. The best ribs to ever come out of this house, and there have been a lot! It must have been ribs like this that began the term “fall off the bone”. No need for a knife and fork here. Just pull them apart.

My husband cooked them on the bbq for 6 hours, alternating temperatures from high to low. They were first coated in his special Memphis rub (taken from his friend Jon), and then doused in a homemade bbq sauce that was made with ketchup, molasses, hickory smoke, worcestershire sauce, honey and brown sugar. It was heaven. The outer layer was sticky, almost like candy, with a thin crisp edge. Underneath the caramelized goodness was meat so tender you just couldn't believe how it was all possible. The bones were bare with one pull from your teeth.

Sides for this perfect meat included garlic whipped cauliflower and fresh fiddleheads. I just love meat like this so much! I'm so lucky.

6 comments:

Holly Bruns said...

Hi Rachelle,

I've just discovered you! Lovely photos, and now I want the bbq sauce recipe for those ribs. They look delish.
Holly
Wine Out Loud

Rachelle said...

My husband rarely measures anything but I'll see if I can get at least an estimate out of him!!

Rachelle said...

Here you go Holly (direct from the man himself!)

you know i don't measure anything! inorder from most to least: ketchup (should be paste or sauce really), then molasses, then brown sugar, then honey, then onion powder, then garlic powder, then worcester sauce then hickory smoke flavor.

Hope this helps! I would say just keep tasting as you go. You'll know when it's just right.

Holly Bruns said...

Perfect! Thanks.

Asha at beFOODled said...

Sounds delicious! How did he make those fiddleheads? I bought them for the first time and am looking for a good and simple recipe.

Rachelle said...

Hi Asha

He just boils them and then adds some butter, salt and pepper. Super simple!

I know some people like to sprinkle vinegar on them too.