Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tilapia with Prosciutto and Pesto and Savory Barley


I just ate the absolute best barley I have ever had. Not only is it's rich, nutty taste good on it's own, but add in the ingredients my husband did and it becomes magical. Probably my new favourite side. I hate to take attention away from the delicious tilapia we had, but oh my god, you just have to try this.

Cook barley until there are 15 minutes left in the cooking time. Throw in some whole garlic and chopped leeks. At the very end, stir it all up so the garlic mushes into everything. Add sprinkles of sage and nutmeg. Oh yeah, and lots of butter and salt and pepper. Amazing.

For the tilapia, place fillet on a hot skillet for 3 minutes. Add slices of prosciutto on top and place in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes. Serve fish side up on a bed of kale and drizzled with pesto.

2 comments:

Mark Goren said...

Tilapia is the tofu of the fish world. No taste until you pile on the seasonings, sauce or whatever it takes to give this poor excuse for food a reason for being.

But I'm happy you enjoy it.

Rachelle said...

haha, hence the pesto and salty prosciutto!