Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Luna Park – San Francisco


We arrived in San Francisco 2 nights ago. I was so excited to get here that I figured there was no way the long traveling day would slow down my energy for an evening out. I was wrong. But we did make it out for dinner, a relatively short one since I was slowly falling asleep at the table by the end of it. My jet-lagged mind also forgot to bring the camera so I'm hoping text only for this post will suffice.

Down in the Mission area of town, on Valencia is this wonderful local restaurant. We chose this one from a review written in the Black Book for San Francisco. This gem of a book I swear has been written personally for us. We've always used it in our travels to New York City and have never had anything but the best time because of it. I trust it will be the same with the San Fran version. So far, we're off to a good start.

If we lived here this would probably be one of our local spots. It's not huge but is very open. I'm not used to seeing so much space around the tables. They've got cozy booths and a warm and inviting atmosphere. 

It was a toss-up but we finally decided on the Carnival Dogs to start. Assorted sausage-filled corn dogs, one lamb, chicken and pork served with a variety of mustards for dipping. So yummy, I absolutely loved this dish. Being a hot dog fan, this was very fun.

For my main I decided to go for the Painted Hills Braised Short Ribs with garlic mashed potatoes, ancho cress salad, fresh horseradish and natural jus. Delicious and so tender!

My husband went with the Grilled Atlantic Salmon with chorizo and scarlet runner bean sofrito, dandelion greens, and garlic croutons. Probably the most flavourful salmon dish I've ever had, mostly because of the chorizo. And the dandelion was cooked perfectly, not bitter at all. I've been used to juicing dandelion leaves recently so it was nice to eat it in it's entirety.

All-in-all, a very nice, easy place to go for dinner. Perfect for our first night in San Fran! Apps range from $8 to $12 and mains from $13 to $23.


Luna Park on Urbanspoon

No comments: