Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fuschian


When Cam Kong closed I wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out. When I heard a new vietnamese restaurant was opening in it's place I suddenly had a bit of hope, until I tried it. In all fairness, my judgement was probably clouded by my obsession with Cam Kong. I picked out every little thing that was not the same, and I hated it as a result. I imagine it must be tough for a restaurant to open for the first time. It'll never be perfect. It's like a sitcom where the actors need time to build their character. A restaurant needs time to build it's menu. A perfect example is the Whalesbone. That place sucked the first time I went. But with some changes, like the addition of Steve Vardy, that place became one of my favorite places to eat on a regular basis. They built such a strong foundation with him, that they are doing just fine now without him.

Back to Fuschian. It's been over 6 months since I went for the first time and i'm really glad I did. I had a feeling it would be better this time. I saw the best description for this place in the newspaper clipping review of the restaurant they had on the wall: Fresh, hot, cheap, good. And it's exactly that. I had my usual rice paper shrimp rolls with peanut sauce, and vermicelli with spring rolls and meatballs. The meatballs were much better than the first time i'd had them there, and the rice paper rolls were room temperature, not freezing cold like the first time. The service was also very fast and extremely friendly. My entire meal, with tea (free) and tax came to $12.66 and it was more than worth it. I won't be waiting 6 months before my next visit again.


Fuschian on Urbanspoon

No comments: