Friday, July 25, 2008

The Red Apron

If you live on your own, or are a single parent, a busy parent, a busy couple – ok just about anyone who likes to eat healthy and don't have time to cook, then you should check this place out. These women make delicious pre-made meals with many options available –from picking up just one meal to getting on their dinner club for regular delivery. I've eaten their meals a few times and each time has been scrumptious. Last night we had the Wine Braised “Kerr” Beef and Caramelized Onions with Sundried Tomato Orzo and not only was it flavourful, it was also very filling. The beef was tender and juicy and the orzo had a light tangy flavour. Their portion sizes are more than enough, we had the dinner for 2, added some carrots of our own and still had leftovers. The prices are very reasonable – for 2 of us the meal was $16. Why anyone who dislikes cooking would choose to cook over picking up their dinner there is beyond me. Just the cost of the ingredients would be at least that let alone the prep work involved – I know I won't take the time to caramelize my onions! If you have a chance to try their carrot cake, do it. My husband raved after trying a sample while he was picking up our meal (he's not normally a sweets person). I was upset that he didn't bring any home, i'll be going to get some this week guaranteed! The only downfall I've found with this place is their hours. I wish they were open later in the evening. I finish work at 5 but don't normally get out of there and home until 6:30 or 7 – which is why a place like this would be so perfect, but they close at 6 on weekdays. They are open on Saturdays until 2pm though. I guess, they have to have a life too!

No comments: