Saturday, January 3, 2009

August – NYC



This is one of those restaurants where I was torn between giving them 2 or 3 stars. Had they been an Ottawa restaurant they would have definitely gotten 3 stars, but I guess because this one is in New York City I expected a little more wow out of the food. The service on the other hand almost made me cave and give them 3 but in the end, I went with 2, which is still good! It's a quaint little restaurant in Greenwich Village with a charming and cozy indoor garden patio at the back with cobblestone floors. Looking over the menu I was torn on what to order. Upon our server's recommendation I started off with the Charcuterie Plate of cured European meats and house terrines. The liver pâté was especially scrumptious. For my main I had the Beef Shortrib Sauerbraten – quark spaetzle, pickled apples, celery and horseradish, also a wonderful choice. A great bottle of wine, Tenuta Friggiali 2004 Rosso Di Montalcino, my closest friends and the excitement of finally getting to NYC after a long drive contributed to a wonderful evening. One of the areas I docked points on the food was the selection. Although I do enjoy a small menu, my friend who does not eat meat felt that a vegetarian and/or poultry dish could have been added to the selection. The Oven Roasted Whole Orata dish she ordered however, was extremely tasty. Apps range between $9 and $15, mains between $24 and $26.


August on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

treesaw said...

The orata was mouth watering...as was the cute waiter.