Sunday, April 5, 2009

Raclette, Grilled Bok Choy, Escargot and Homemade Rillette


This has got to be one of the most extravagant spreads I've ever had for lunch. We drove up to Tremblant late yesterday morning to visit with our friends Marc and Zoya. Now if you've read any of my older reviews about visiting with this couple, you'll remember that the meals we usually have with them are quite elaborate. This one is no different. Zoya really knows how to cook and how to make you feel extra special. There were so many dishes I don't even know where to start. 


This was my first time having raclette. She put together this fabulous potato and veggie mixture and topped it with the raclette cheese and cooked it to perfection – crispy cheese on the outside, warm and somewhat like a lasagna but without the noodles on the inside. I know you normally do it yourself on a raclette cooker but she did all the work for us. 


With that she served some delightful escargot cooked with onions and Pernod, they were to die for.

 


We also had some bok choy and green beans that had been grilled on the barbecue, tofu feta, capers, oil and balsamic for dipping the bread, and the absolute, most impressive and time consuming thing on the table, homemade duck and pork rillettes. 


This is not something I would ever even attempt to make ever in my life. And she did, and she did an insanely phenomenal job on it. It was so moist and tasty I couldn't help but overeat. This highly pleasing meal deserved a wine of equal stature, so we opened the Esporao I brought for dinner. It was even better than I built it up to be in my head, so that was great. I would highly recommend this wine! You won't even believe that she still had a fancy dinner planned for us later on. Seriously, are we being treated like royalty here or what?! We've got some pretty big shoes to fill for their next visit.

No comments: