Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Best Beet Salad Ever


Sometimes, if my pictures don't turn out the way I like, I don't bother doing a post. If I can't portray how delicious a meal was with my photo alone, then it's not worthy of being on my blog. Unless of course, the meal was so amazingly fantastic that I just can't stop thinking about every little bite I had, which is the case tonight. A simple beet salad. Maybe. But after working 12 hours with no break, it's exactly what I needed. I'm not particularly happy with this photo, it doesn't do it justice. Whatever.

My husband wasn't home when I arrived from work. But he made sure I was well taken care of. I'll have to get the exact recipe from him later but from what I can tell, fresh, local arugula, beets, caramelized onions, toasted pine nuts and feta make this the best beet salad I've ever had. Ever.


I just got the recipe from my husband so here it is!

Dressing:
- couple of swigs of cider vinegar
- two dollops of dijon
- one dollop of grainy mustard
- 6 big glugs of olive oil

then whisk.

- boil fresh beets and chop, or add two cans of beets, halved
- caramelize one onion in salt and oil
- toast pine nuts
- crumble feta

serve on top of arugula, or steamed beet greens.

No comments: