Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Roasted Tomatoes and Cipollini with Squash Soup


I don't think I've ever used the word decadent to describe a salad before. Although that was the first word that came to mind while I was eating this magnificent dish tonight. Then my husband said, well, it's not really a salad. So then I questioned, what defines a salad? I guess it's usually greens topped with a dressing. But there are warm vegetable salads that have no leafy greens. This salad indirectly had dressing, olive oil, which is all I often put on a salad anyway. I checked out the definition on wikipedia but it didn't really help to answer my question. Salad or not, it was fantastic.


The warm, sweet onions just melt in your mouth, and the juicy tomatoes are bursting with flavour. Roasted garlic brings the entire dish together. I had fun spreading it on some garlic and rosemary Art-is-in bread too.


My husband also used some Himalayan salt for flavouring. This salt has a rich mineral content that if consumed on a regular basis (in moderation) can support proper nutrient absorption, eliminate toxins, normalize your blood pressure and increase circulation!


He found this recipe on one of my favourite blogs, Smitten Kitchen. My friend Teresa introduced me to this magical site. Deb makes the yummiest looking meals and takes the most beautiful shots (I told my husband there was no way we'd make a better photo tonight, and I was right). Definitely worth checking out.

My husband also made this warming squash soup that started to bring memories of Christmas to mind. Yikes! I know. But doesn't it make you just want to curl up in a blanket in front of a fireplace? I love that feeling, when it's blistering outside and you're all warm in your house slurping up your favourite soup. We had some acorn squash and potatoes that needed to get used up. He didn't measure anything so this is the best I could get out of him.

What you’ll need
1 acorn squash
3 potatoes
1 onion
Chicken stock
Ginger
2 tsp curry

What to do
Chop and cook everything (except the ginger and curry) together in some butter. Add some chicken stock, 2 big chunks of ginger and the curry and boil for a really long time. Put everything in a food processor and purée.

No comments: