Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Domus Café


$$$$
Run. Run as fast as you can to Domus and order the Braised Beef “Shortrib” and C’est Bon Goat Cheese Ravioli” before the menu changes.

My husband received a Domus gift certificate from Lily, a local artist and friend of ours who got my husband to do some design work for her. This is my husband's absolute favourite restaurant in Ottawa. And obviously one of my top too. Thanks so much Lily (and my husband of course for sharing!), as you'll see below, we had a magnificent meal.


I've reviewed Domus before. This time I've upped my rating. The second I took my first bite of the ravioli starter I knew it would change. I haven't been in awe like this in a while. The flavour of the tender meat in each little pocket was so powerful that even with the goat cheese on top, you could clearly taste it. Each ingredient only complemented each other more and more with every morsel.

My husband ordered the “Memories of Manitou” Warm Summer Tomato Puff Pastry Tart served with yellow cherry tomato salad, green basil pesto and C’est Bon goat's cheese. Also very yummy.

Our mains were equally delicious. My husband went with the Cast Iron Crispy Skinned Barbarie Duck Breast and Ian's Brown Smoke served with yukon whipped potato, pan roasted sweet corn, cauliflower, swiss chard chutney and jus. I tried his duck, cooked rare, and it was fantastic.


My main, the special of the day, a rare cooked venison steak served with similar sides as my husband, as well as Le Coprin mushrooms, and bathing in a red wine and garlic jus was simply to die for.

The wine, 2007 Thirty Bench Red from Niagara Lake.

Every single food item on this menu is local. I would have to say that this is THE place to bring someone who is from another town in another country far away if you want them to experience local foods at their best. The service is also consistently impeccable. You are guaranteed to have an amazing evening.

www.domuscafe.ca

Domus Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you don't mind my tweeting this blog entry. I adore beef short ribs. A friend calls them "men bait."

Here's a link: http://twitter.com/foodiePrints/statuses/4028583114. I can take it down if you like.

Rachelle said...

don't mind at all!