Monday, February 15, 2010

Heavenly Rack of Lamb


My husband has been away for a few days (hence the lack of posts). He arrived home last night so we decided to celebrate his birthday and Valentine's day today (yes, he's my own personal cupid!).

He did leave me these beautiful flowers to enjoy while he was away.

Originally I was going to surprise him with a lamb dinner, but as soon as he got wind he suggested we cook together instead. What an excellent idea, as I would hate to waste such a lovely piece of meat! Honestly, who knows what would happen to it in my hands.

The entire day was perfect. And of course, food played the major part. Banana pancakes and scrambled eggs to start the day along with fresh squeezed orange juice (more about that to come in another post). Then in the afternoon we went for a lovely drive out to Wakefield, stopping off at La Boucanerie Chelsea for some snacks in the car. Smoked shrimp, scallops, salmon, tuna and sturgeon was what we left with. Once at our destination, we stopped in town for a beer.

Around early evening we decided to start cooking. I did some of the leg work, under my husband's direction of course. And surprisingly it wasn't too difficult at all. I pulled out the rack of lamb and we sprinkled it with salt. Then a dijon, garlic, rosemary and pepper rub was applied all over it. Cook at 450 for 30 to 35 minutes and voilĂ , a perfect, absolutely delicious and tender rack of lamb. Honestly, to die for.

For the sides we steamed some asparagus and set it over some arugula on the plate. I also picked up these potato and caramelized onion puffs from Sasloves and heated them up in the oven. They were perfect with the lamb. And my favourite side, some pearl onions that we cooked in a pool of maple dijon, melted butter and brown sugar for 20 minutes at 450.

The entire meal was breathtaking. I didn't want it to end. And as I mentioned above, surprisingly easy. Although, on my own, I doubt it would have turned out this perfect, my husband has magical hands that turns every meal to pure gold. I love it!

3 comments:

Marysol said...

Yummy, happy bday chef!!!

...and Rachelle, trust yourself.

amy a thompson said...

this is inspiring rachelle, i've never made a rack of lamb!!

Rachelle said...

Seriously, so easy. I could have done it alone for sure.