Saturday, February 27, 2010

Torched Scallops, Crispy Beet Chips and Mushroom Risotto


What do you have to do to have the perfect night? Read on...

It starts with a trip to the Whalesbone. We arrived at the restaurant in the early evening to sip on some beer and down 18 oysters. Then a quick shot of Sailor Jerry's before heading back home.

Inspired by Marc Lepine and our evening at Atelier, this dinner was a true work of art. I was in awe as I watched my husband make every piece of this meal so carefully and to utter perfection. The details were astounding. My husband pulled the recipe from Wednesday's Globe and Mail. He even got to use his juicer for the beet cream.

The end result, luscious and crispy beets drizzled with scallion oil and sweet, creamy beet-juice caramel (oh what honey will do to a beet – yum!).

Serve the rest of the creams in a ramekin on the table for dipping!

For the velvety scallops, my husband first seared then brushed them with honey before taking his new blow torch to them. My mother-in-law picked up the torch for his birthday. A wonderful kitchen toy if I do say so myself.

It's hard to believe that after 10 years my husband continues to amaze me with his extravagant meals. Not only are the plates alluring, the flavours are mouthwatering – ALWAYS.

No comments: