Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Seared Tuna with Snap Peas and Bok Choy


This dish is right out of a 5 star restaurant, only better. I knew when I bought this tuna from the Whalesbone Fish Supply shop back in the summer, amazing things would come of it. Put any kind of food in my husband's hands and it immediately turns to gold.

Each morsel of this firm, fleshy tuna melted like butter in my mouth. To accompany the fish, my husband made a wasabi dip, spicy and flavourful but without any upfront harshness to the sinuses. Sesame flavoured egg noodles lay alongside, garnished with stir fried, crispy snap peas, bok choy and green onion. As the food on my plate began to disappear, I dramatically slowed my eating down. I wanted every bite to last forever.

My husband coated the tuna in sesame seeds before searing it in a mixture of grapeseed and sesame oil. He used the grapeseed to lessen the smoke during the cooking process. Boil the egg noodles and then lightly sprinkle with sesame oil and sesame seeds. Stir fry the bok choy and snap peas until al dente then add some chopped green onion.

For the dipping sauce, mix together some sour cream, soy sauce, wasabi powder, horseradish and sesame oil. Yummm.

3 comments:

The Benny's said...

OMG! It's only 9am and I WANT that tuna! Is your husband a trained chef?

Rachelle said...

believe it or not he's not. but he should be! i guess we're all good at something right!?

Anonymous said...

Obviously your husband knows the way to your heart. What a lucky lady.You certainly must be doing something right for him to enjoy cooking for you so much.