Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sweet Potato Spelt Pierogies


My husband is away this weekend so I decided to make some pierogies – from scratch! I think the only time I'll venture into the kitchen to cook is when I'm home alone. Otherwise I get too nervous or feel that I'm taking too long to do what I'm doing. These took a VERY long time. About 5 or 6 hours total.

I can't tell you how these taste because I haven't cooked one yet. I'm waiting for my husband to get home and do it for me. I'm afraid I may screw them up by cooking them (yeah-yeah, I'm weird). I'll do another post when I do finally eat them. For now I'll just post the recipe. This came from about 10 other recipes and then more modifications on my end. I made waaaaay too much filling so I'll cut the amount in half for this post. My friends Gina and Teresa came by last night and we made sweet potato pancakes with the leftover stuffing and they were very yummy!

For the dough:
- 5 cups spelt flour (from the Ottawa Farmers' Market)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (from Aubrey's)
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 cups water

Put the flour in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. In the center add the eggs, olive oil and blend. Slowly add the water, a small amount at a time until it's fully absorbed. Knead the dough until smooth then form into a ball. I had actually put in 2 cups of water but it was waaaay too wet. I ended up adding more flour to the mixture until it became the right consistency. If you find the dough is still very wet, add more flour. Or you may want to just add 1 cup of water to start and see how it goes. Cover the dough with a warm bowl and let stand 10 minutes at room temperature.

For the filling:
- 4 sweet potatoes, cubed (from Herb and Spice)
- 1/2 lb 3 year old cheddar, shredded (from Aubrey's)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped (from the Ottawa Farmers' Market)
- salt and pepper

Optional:
- red pepper flakes
- Sriracha sauce
- thyme
- garlic powder
- shredded parm

Boil the potatoes then mash them. Add the cheese (I also added a bit of shredded parm in addition to the cheddar, no measurement, just sprinkled it in). Sautée the onions in the olive oil and then add it to the mixture. Add in a bit of salt and pepper, and if you'd like, some other stuff like the things in the optional list above. I didn't put a lot of each but just enough to taste.

Roll the dough out, about a 1/4 of an inch thick (you may want to use regular flour for the base as this dough is very sticky and the spelt flour doesn't do a very good job at reducing the stickiness). Cut circles out with a glass. Place about 1 tbs of the mixture in the centre of the circle and close it over. Line them up on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer (or boil and then fry them).

I hope they turn out ok!!!

No comments: