Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pork Chops with Cranberries and Swiss Chard


I have to start by apologizing for not posting sooner. We had dinner on Sunday night at La Favorita and unfortunately I didn't feel the experience was worth talking about. Luckily the company was good! Quick side note, if you ever do have to go, don't waist your time on the pizza, no matter how good it looks on the menu.

This week was laid out to be a food week. I was signed up for the East Coast Kitchen Party on Monday at the Urban Element, was to have dinner in Montreal with my brother on Tuesday, and had reservations at Fraser Café tonight. I didn't think anything in the world could affect my appetite, ever. But some news concerning my dog's health shocked me on Monday morning and quickly eliminated every little bit of excitement I had for all of these food pleasures. So I cancelled everything. By this morning I had mentally sorted things out – thankfully. So my appetite this evening was back to normal. Just in time for this amazing dinner from my husband.

He got the recipe off epicurious.com. The only thing he changed was port instead of wine. What a beautiful dinner. First off, the swiss chard cooked in garlic is genius. Anyone who is not a fan of greens (why you wouldn't be is beyond me), would quickly fall in love with them after having them cooked this way. And the pork chops! Wow! This entire plate is just an amazing combination of flavours, and colour! I know it's not Christmas time but I'm always up for that warm feeling that comes with the holidays. Cook this meal and the visual of it alone will make you feel happy and cozy. The sauce is to die for and the cranberries were not tart at all.

We even used local cranberries (from Greely! Céline...).

Can't rave enough about this dish.

3 comments:

The Benny's said...

Oh,so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he/she's going to get better...

Rachelle said...

Well, he's an old guy, it's just tough when they get a certain age and things start happening. You wish they could be well and young forever. thanks...

The Benny's said...

I know what you mean; I lost a cat 2 years ago. My little Friskie is 14 this year, in good health, but I am preparing myself mentally...
http://thedogthecatandeverythinginbetween.blogspot.com/2009/08/kitty-la-hugh-hefner.html