Thursday, October 8, 2009

Catfish Cakes and Tomato Salad


This meal deserved my favourite wine, Robertson Winery Cab Sauvignon, my last one, and no longer available at the LCBO. So I cracked it open and continue to sip on it as I write.


I'm not sure what I love more, fish cakes or the sauce that comes with them. With this dish it's definitely the combination of the two. Alone these fish cakes are heavenly, as is the sauce. But together, they make my world complete. The sad thing about going out to eat and ordering fish cakes is that there's never enough sauce. At home, that problem doesn't exist (although maybe it should!). This recipe, as marvelous as it is, is really quite simple, a few ingredients that make the best of each other.

My husband mixed together 2 catfish filets, 1 chopped jalapeno pepper, 1 egg, some coriander, thyme, garlic, bread crumbs and flax seed. Formed the mixture into 4 patties and fried them. The sauce that I adored so much was an uninvolved mixture of mayo, lemon and paprika. A fresh yellow tomato and arugula salad lightly drizzled with balsamic and oil completed the meal.

2 comments:

Marysol said...

flax seed???
i would have never thought of it...may i ask why? consistency?

Anonymous said...

yup - i needed more breadcrumbs and just substituted. worked out great (husked flax seed) - healthy, too.