Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What We Eat

This post is not about one of my fabulous meals. It's more about what goes into those meals. Last night my husband and I watched Food Inc. Deep down I know that if I could peek into a hole and see where my food was coming from, I'd probably stop eating it. Forever. Although the past year, more than ever, I've been buying local. But I don't buy everything local or organic. And I certainly wouldn't say I make an effort to do so. After watching this movie, I'll be making an effort going forward.

Buying from our local farmers isn't cheap. But as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Knowing the differences between mass production and more humane ways of preparing food can make every extra penny totally worth it. Go out to eat one less time this month and you'll probably make up the difference. And check out this article from Ron Eade, a great comparison and excellent read if you do find the prices a little hard to handle at some markets. (Oh, and a little return from the Ottawa Farmers' Market.) Living in Ottawa makes the transition pretty easy, it's not just markets that sell local and organic foods. The Glebe Metro for example carries tons of great stuff. And Aubrey's in the market is where my husband picks up a lot of our meat. For fish, the Whalesbone is still my favourite stop. The more I learn, the more I'll share.

After I wrote this I was going through my usual blog list and came across this post on the Urban Element blog. Very inspiring!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

There is SHOCKING news in the sports betting industry.

It has been said that every bettor needs to see this,

Watch this now or stop placing bets on sports...

Sports Cash System - Advanced Sports Betting Software.