Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Good Food Company

$
I went wedding dress shopping with a friend yesterday in Carleton Place. I was excited about the adventure because I knew it would end with a meal somewhere and I figured there had to be a nice little café or something in the area. And man, was I happy with our choice!

We stumbled into the Good Food Company, a quaint little spot with big windows at the front letting the beautiful sun's rays in. It was pretty busy but we lucked out with the last table at the back. They were still serving breakfast but also had the lunch menu available. Oh the choices!

I started off with the Soup of the Day, a potato and leek mixture that had the texture of a corn chowder, thick and rich and warmed me instantly. Alongside the bowl was a warm slice of whole grain bread.

My friend and I shared two mains, the Winter Spinach Salad and the Harvest Grilled Sandwich. Both had fantastic ingredients that went insanely well together. The two of us were in awe with every bite. The salad was made with baby spinach, baked sweet potatoes, fresh cranberries, bacon, toasted pecans and topped with a warm maple-dijon dressing. And the sandwich, sourdough bread toasted to perfection, was filled with chicken, bacon, old cheddar and caramelized green apples and red onion. The caramelized green apples were to die for. I thought I was going to go insane it was so good. I love marrying meat and fruit together. So many people I know hate that combination, and it just baffles me.

The service was excellent and the prices very reasonable. $8 to $10 for breakfast, $4 to $11 for soups and salads and $5 to $10 for lunch mains. It's the kind of spot I'd go all the way to Carleton Place for no other reason but to eat there.


The Good Food Company on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very nice place to stop on the way to Ottawa. I could not provide a better review for this little gem of a place.

Anonymous said...

Your review is amazing, it makes me proud to live here when I see people say something like that about a place in town. And for it to be on main street is all the better!