Friday, December 11, 2009

Bison Stew


We found some stewing bison buried deep in the back of our freezer. We had purchased this a while back from Ranch les Beaux Bisons (best bison meat I've ever had). The stewing meat has a different texture, almost similar to liver in the fact that it is so dense. We made brochettes with this meat back in June and it was really tough. It definitely needs to be cooked for a long time, so that's what my husband did last night. So much more tender.

He got the idea after we watched the Julie & Julia movie, and the beef bourguignon. To the meat, he added some carrots, celery, one bay leaf, thyme, sage, rosemary, brandy, garlic, onions and beef bouillon concentrate and baked it for a few hours on 250. Just at the end he added some tomato paste. Served up with mashed potatoes and fried mushrooms was heavenly.

These comforting meals make me so full. I love them so much and have the hardest time stopping when I should. Yummm.

No comments: