Friday, January 22, 2010

Asian-Inspired Soup


I wasn't sure if I should call this Asian-inspired or fridge-inspired. This is the perfect example of what to do with whatever you have in your fridge/freezer. Something I probably wouldn't attempt for fear I'd mix the wrong ingredients together. But for my husband, it comes naturally – and wow, what a result! I wouldn't have classified this as a “do-what-you-can-with-what-you-have” recipe. It's more of a “I bought these ingredients specifically for this recipe”.

My husband took some chicken stock and to it he added Sriracha sauce, fish sauce, soya sauce, green onion, basil, ginger and garlic. We had some carrots that needed to be eaten, so he threw those in. Candace brought us some lotus root from Japan, in it went. Wontons from Dong Ling, perfect. Leftover egg noodles in the cupboard, frozen shrimp from the freezer – done. This soup was amazing! He even topped it off with a garnish of spring rolls leftover from a party. What more could you ask for!?

This soup was satisfying, warming and downright delicious. I think it may have to become a regular.

No comments: