Sunday, January 10, 2010

Wonton Noodle Soup


I decided this afternoon that I was going to make a wonton soup for my lunches this week. I love wontons and I love noodles. What better way to enjoy those two pleasures in life.

I've never made one before but I found a yummy looking recipe off the appetite for China blog. Now, in her post, the wontons are made from scratch. Given that I love the dumplings from Dong Ling, I figured they would have equally delicious wontons, and save me the frustration.

I tried to follow the recipe to a T but had to make some substitutions. I used green chives instead of yellow, and sadly, when I got to Dong Ling, they only had pork and chive wontons (unlike the shrimp she highly recommended in the recipe). I still made the broth using the dried shrimp, removing them when I took the bones out. But I think next time I'll use dried onions instead – the shrimp added tons of flavour but the onions would go better with the pork. I also added some bok choy. It turned out really good!

I picked up all the ingredients at Kowloon Market.

My stop at Dong Ling was also quite fun. Along with the wontons, I also picked up some pork and cabbage dumplings to eat at a later date. And, some yummy food to eat right away – warm pork and chive pocket, an egg, green onion and glass noodle pocket and 2 pork buns (one made with chinese cabbage and the other with chinese mushrooms. It's so much more relaxing cooking on a full stomach!

2 comments:

The Benny's said...

I love Dong Ling! I also make a Wonton soup once in a while and get my shrimp wontons from the Dumpling shop. They are smaller and more delicate then dumplings.

Rachelle said...

That's great to know! I'll have to check it out. I've been there before but it's been a long while. thanks!