Monday, January 4, 2010

Carrot, Ginger and Sage Soup


In case you haven't noticed, I've never been one to cook. I used to bake a lot of cookies when I was younger, which has made me less afraid to venture down the baking path. But because I started off on that end of things, I tend to carry over a lot of what would be misconceptions when it comes to cooking other foods. Like just because two things are delicious, doesn't mean they're delicious together. When you bake banana cake for example, the addition of chocolate chips is marvelous. Adding smoked oysters to a veggie pizza, not so much.

An even bigger one revolves around measuring. When I bake, I measure everything perfectly. I do the same when I cook; and every time my husband cringes.

Last night I decided to make a carrot soup. I spent about half an hour looking for the perfect recipe until my husband finally told me to just grab from what we had in the kitchen and go with it. “But I have to see how many carrots to put in, how many onions, and how much ginger.” He pulled me away from my computer and for the first time in my life, I cooked something without measuring (with a little help of course!).

Fry chopped onions (2), ginger, garlic and a bit of butter. Pour in about 6 cups of chicken stock, roughly 6 large carrots and a turnip – chopped. Simmer for 40 minutes. Add some chopped sage and rosemary and cook for another 20 minutes. Blend until smooth. Makes a savoury and velvety carrot soup.

8 comments:

nooschi said...

This soup looks awesome. I'm the opposite, I'm more comfortable with coooking than baking. The main reason why I'm not an avid baker is because of the measuring lol. The sage sounds like it would go really well with carrot and ginger...mmmm.

Rachelle said...

It totally does! just be careful not to put too much as it could overpower the carrot and ginger.

Brittany G said...

Hey Rachelle,

did you use fresh ginger or ground ginger?

I've made a carrot-ginger soup before without the sage (it was a Campbell’s soup recipe) it turned out wonderfully, but I’m going to toss the sage it just to see how it modifies the flavour :)

Rachelle said...

I used fresh ginger. I love ginger so I put a lot. The sage takes it to a whole new level.

Brittany G said...

I can't wait... I will let you know how it turns out :)

Rachelle said...

yay, please do!

Brittany G said...

Soup Update.....

Best... Soup.... Ever!!!!

The sage really does make a difference... my taste buds are dancing!!

I'm so happy right now... oh the joys of food! ;)

Rachelle said...

that's awesome! i'm so glad you enjoyed it :)