For the first time in 5 years we actually spent New Year's Eve at home. It was a bit strange as we really didn't know what to do. And it wasn't until that morning that we realized a lot of our friends didn't have any plans either. That's it, we're having a party!
My husband picked up a bunch of Oysters from the Whalesbone, along with some cheese and crackers, smoked salmon, terrines, etc. As everyone arrived, they too brought some lovely foods, mainly cheese – from smoked cheese to cheesecake and everything in between. Here's what the final spread consisted of:
- Fresh Caraquet and St Simon Oysters
- Yummy smoked salmon with capers and onions
- Duck breast on fried wontons with onion jam - heaven on a chip basically
- Wild boar and apricot terrines
- Zoya brought my favourite rillettes de canard
- Teresa brought delicious chocolate covered cheesecake bites
- Zoya's homemade rosemary and jalapeno jelly
- Spiced nuts
- Nuts and bolts
- Amy and Andrew brought some sausage that was gobbled up in no time.
- And vegetarian spring rolls that we didn't actually eat until the next day!
And then the cheese. Marc and Stacey brought in the mother load to add to my tiny collection as well as that from Amy and Andrew. I don't think I've ever seen so much cheese in my life. They even had them all labeled and served with the perfect sides. Amazing!
- 5 year old cheddar
- 4 year old aged Gouda
- Super strong Montboissé
- Flavourful Pied-de-vent (raw milk)
- La Sauvagine
- Wensleydale cheddar with caramelized onions (amazing!)
- Cambozola – always a treat
- Double smoked cheddar
- Soft goat cheese
- Classic Oka
- Sweet strawberries, grapes, dried cranberries, almonds and walnuts lined the plate
- Crisp crackers and fresh bread all available at our fingertips
I was certain we'd end up with a ton of leftovers – not so. That table of cheese became a centerpiece for conversation. That along with great wine, champagne and beer lead us all into the early morning hours.
We're so lucky to have such wonderful friends to ring in the new year with. Thanks to everyone for making the evening so special!