Friday, January 22, 2010

Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup in Gatineau Park


The wonderful thing about living in Ottawa is that you can be in the middle of the forest within minutes of downtown. In the summer we do it cycling, in the winter, skiing takes over.

I've only gotten into cross-country skiing these past couple of years. I try to get out once a week. But if food is going to play a part in this, I think I may have to increase the frequency. Tonight I did my first night ski. The destination was a little cabin 5kms into the woods.

Gatineau park has lovely groomed trails and quaint little cabins here and there with sturdy picnic tables and wood stoves – perfect for heating up cheese for a fondu, or in tonight's case, grilled cheese sandwiches.

Teresa made these awesome brie and spicy monterey jack sandwiches that she heated over the wood stove. She also brought a lovely tomato soup that I piled a ton of cheese fish over. Yumm! I contributed the liquids, Banrock Station Shiraz and some Bailey's to start. Oh, and 90% cocoa for dessert.

She was fully equipped, right down to the spork! Or should I say kspork (there's a knife built in too!) So relaxing, and quite perfect for a Friday night after a long week of work. Oh how lucky we are!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Which little cabin 5km into the woods? GuideGatineau want's to know

Rachelle said...

P10 to Keogan cabin.

Christine said...

Wow, that kspork looks dangerous! You can cut yourself if you get too excited with whatever you're eating.

Cross country skiing sounds like a great idea! Have you ever thought of going to a cabin with your husband for a romantic dinner, or are the cabins not really that private?

Rachelle said...

They aren't really that private, but you could still have a romantic dinner for sure. Getting my husband out is the challenge!