Sunday, August 22, 2010

Food Blogger Potluck

What is this magical creation you ask? Tender chicken skewers and melon with a light, delectable dipping sauce – one of many fantastic dishes served from the heart at Marysol's food-blogger meet-up.

After getting to know each other through not much more than comment posts, Marysol decided it was time we put faces to the names. Besides, what better way to get to know other food bloggers than over food itself. Not just any food either, food made by foodies, and inspired by foodies. As you can imagine, it was a pretty elaborate spread. I was in sheer heaven.


I get impatient with myself at home, taking shots of the food I'm about to eat. I do my best to do a good job, but in my mind, really want it over with so I can start eating. So you can imagine how much the excitement was building inside me as I stood back and let 5 others take their shots. The second the last one was taken I was at the table, plate in hand.


Shrimp and more shrimp. You can never have too much shrimp. These bites were so summery and tasty. I especially enjoyed the coconut curry shrimp. I love this variation – not bathing in sauce but still bursting with flavour.


Other favourites were roasted bell pepper and cashew dip with savoury pita crisps. Gianetto dip. Italian stuffed mushroom caps. Smoked salmon and avocado bites. Deconstructed ceasar bites – such a fun way to have salad. And the one thing I may have possibly embarrassed myself on – Gyoza with pork, ginger, Napa cabbage and shiitake mushrooms. I say embarrass because on my fifth one, I still wanted to eat the rest of the plate. It took all of me to hold back. I have such a weakness for these things!! (Thank god I wasn't the only one eh Jen??)

And what's a potluck without a couple of banana-inspired desserts? I love banana. Columbian upside-down cake – a mixture of banana, pecans and dulce de leche, so yummy. And a light banana cake with lemon. I held back on going for a second slice. Not easy.

The finale was a lovely grey-rose dessert wine that Asha brought from L'Orpailleur Winery. A perfect way to complete the meal and set us all into a major food coma.

It's so fun to eat with people who enjoy doing it as much as you. Thanks so much Marysol, for making it all happen!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, yum! it all sounds so lovely!!!

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

Still moaning. More than just pretty pictures. It was pretty good!

foodiePrints said...

Rachelle, you didn't embarrass yourself. It is gratifying to know there are other dumpling-addicts out there!

We just need to have a dumpling party one day :)

As for the evening, Marysol was a fine host. What a lovely way to end an evening. Everything was tasty!

Holly Bruns said...

Oh, that all looks so good! Nice pictures.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Looks like you had a good time.

Asha at beFOODled said...

Great post! I'm glad you liked the gyozas. Don might be onto something with that dumpling party idea :)