Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mini Mignon en Croûte

Oh yes, this definitely was as good as it sounds. We spent the weekend at our friends Marc and Zoya's and as usual, she totally outdid herself. Before the meal was even done I was having heart palpitations at the excitement of what I was about to eat.

I have a weakness for things in pockets (ravioli, dumplings). So imagine, a delicious filet mignon surrounded by mushrooms, onions and garlic, and then closed into a light and flaky rustic pocket. It was to-die-for.

First you start by quickly searing the meat so that the juices stay inside. Place it, along with some fried King Bolete and Shiitake mushrooms, onions and garlic onto some dough and then close it up. Put in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden-brown.

The King Bolete mushrooms came from Zoya's friend Isabelle's back yard in La Conception near Tremblant.

Our side salad is proof that just a bit extra work can make something go from good to absolutely amazing. Slivers of crisp onions fried in peanut oil – it's so difficult not to eat them all off everyone's plate! (I seriously wanted them all to myself.) And maple-caramelized turnip, so sweet and sinful. All on a bed of fresh, baby arugula. Probably one of the best salads I've ever had.

And what's a fantastic dinner without the wine? 2007 7 Deadly Zins, and 2007 J Lohr South Ridge Syrah. Both from California and both from the August 21st vintage release. These wines were made for red meat. I highly recommend both.

Zoya, thanks so much for such an amazing dinner! Doing this post is bringing me back to the evening that I wished had never ended.

1 comment:

treesaw said...

Wow, that salad looks amazing! Glad you guys had a good trip!