Sunday, August 15, 2010

Serious Cheese


I was out running errands yesterday and down on Bank Street South I noticed this shop called Serious Cheese. I had already had it in my mind that I was going to pick up a few things to nibble on before dinner, so this was perfect.

I had never been in this place before. At first glance I thought it was a restaurant, I could see tables inside and some people eating. But the name had me figuring there was more to it than that. And just as I approached the window I noticed that it was in fact, a giant cheese heaven.

Things got even better once I got inside. A fridge over to the right filled with meaty delights from Maison du Gibier – I grabbed a caribou, port and fig terrine and some smoked, dried ostrich. Yum! I continued along that side of the wall to some prepackaged cheeses. An Italian Pecorino Pepato cheese was calling my name. This salty sheep's milk cheese studded with peppercorns did not disappoint. I then tried a sliver of Fifth Town's Cape Vessey – absolutely to die for. So this one made it's way home with me too. And finally, Le Cendrillon, one of my favourite goat cheeses.

Once I got to the cash, I fell in love with some locally made jams. The strawberry and balsamic one especially. That, in combination with the Cendrillon and some walnut and rye baguette (from True Loaf but bought at the cheese store), was the tastiest thing I ate this weekend.

I'm so happy I found this place. I have a feeling I'm going to be visiting them a lot. I just checked out their web site and have my next cheese purchase already planned – Blue Haze, a Quebec smoked blue cheese, sounds amazing. And on the lunch menu, bacon and truffle mac and cheese!

www.seriouscheese.com

Serious Cheese on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Mélodie said...

This is so my kind of dinner! I tried the Cendrillon a while back and liked it but was a bit disappointed. I think my expectations were too high, because of their prize and all. But I fell in love with an ash-rolled raw milk goat cheese this weekend: Cendré de lune. Do you know it ? Amazing. I need to go by that store A.S.A.P.

Don Mills said...

I've been there, I meant to ask you if that's where it was. It's a great spot and you can have lunch if you want to.

Rachelle said...

I definitely have to try lunch there. AND, Cendré de lune, never tried it, but I think that one and the smoked blue are definitely the next ones on my list!!

Unknown said...

I love this place. We go there often for a light lunch and Stinking Bishop cheese.

Make sure you try the provence olives next time too.

Thanks for the great blog-really enjoy reading it.

jane-adventuresindinner.blogspot.com

Lana said...

LOVE this store. I work nearby so often pop over on my lunch hour to pick up some goodies.