Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chipotle Pork Cheeseburgers and Elote

My photo of this dish did not do it justice – so I didn't post it at all. I recommend going to it on epicurious.com because when my husband sent it to me saying this was what he was going to make for dinner my mouth started to water and didn't stop until I bit into this insanely delicious burger (10 hours later!). Yes, it did taste as good as it looked. Better in fact. My husband invited our new neighbours over for dinner along with 3 other friends, and well, let's just say that the food, although a bit messy, was very impressive. The burgers were topped with melted Muenster, creamy avocado (not mine tho), tomatillo, cilantro and a cilantro/mayo spread. With that my husband served elote – grilled corn on the cob spread with lime juice and mayo, and sprinkled with chili powder, a bit of cumin and salt, so perfect and so fresh.

What you’ll need
1 pound ground pork (not lean)
2 teaspoons minced chipotle in adob
o plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
2 garlic cloves, forced through a garlic press
4 slices Muenster cheese
4 hamburger buns, toasted
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 large tomatillo (1/4 pound), husked and rinsed, then sliced
1/2 small avocado, sliced
1/2 cup cilantro sprigs


What to do

Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium heat;

Gently mix pork, chipotle, garlic, and a scant teaspoon salt until just combined. Form into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.

Oil grill rack, then grill patties, covered, 4 minutes.

Flip patties and top with a slice of cheese. Grill, covered, until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.

Spread buns with mayonnaise (my husband made a mayo and cilantro spread) and assemble burgers with tomatillo, avocado, and cilantro (we added more adobo sauce).


The wine we drank was also impressive. Everyone submitted a bottle (or two or three!) We polished off 6! (my head does hurt a little) The below are all definitely worth a try.

- 2007 Expresiones Reserve Shiraz/Cab Sauvignon from Argentina

- 2006 Catena Malbec also from Argentina

- 2005 Chateau Lafon-Rochet from France

- 2006 Aresti Merlot from Chili

No comments: