Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pizza Delight


My husband and I had a list of places we wanted to eat before coming back to Ottawa. Lucky for us, dinners were being served left, right and center. Not so lucky for us, we only had a few days to fit it all in. So we didn’t get to hardly any of the places on our list. Except this one, Pizza Delight. Unfortunately we don’t have one of these anywhere near us now. I’m guessing if we did the luxury would be gone anyway. But since we don’t, it becomes one of our stops when we go home to the Maritimes. We waited right up to the last minute for this one, stopping in Edmundston just before crossing into Quebec.

My husband ordered his usual, a Donair, and me, just a regular ol’ pizza with the works. I’ve always loved their crust, thin, but not so thin you have to eat 10 slices to be full. Just the perfect amount of cheese and the usual yummy toppings that goes with the works. They have many different kinds to choose from now too. A comparable pizza in Ottawa is hard to find, but the Dewie is pretty close.


My husband isn’t so lucky with his Donair. You can’t get anything remotely close in Ottawa. In fact, I don't think Donair sauce even exists outside the Maritimes (although I've heard rumors there may be some, I've yet to find it). That unique, sweet tasting sauce has had east coasters wrapped around it’s little finger for a very long time. And the meat, donair meat, is also impossible to come by. There are no comparable options for this dish in Ottawa. One of the supposed-to-be “maritime” bars has tried and failed, using mayo for the sauce and ground beef for the meat – why even bother.

We snacked on these lovely treats all they way through Quebec. Yum!!

13 comments:

Marysol said...

yay! a rachelle post! I missed you!!!

and i really wanted to eat pizza tonight, so that makes me totally jealous...

funny how we long for certain pizzas: for me it was Misty Mountain Pizza in Whistler. it's like i remember the texture the smell the taste.

Get home safe!

Rachelle said...

awww, thanks! I have a lot of catching up to do on your blog too! and the comforts of home wouldn't be so comforting if they were available everywhere, it's what makes them so special. Looking forward to getting back on my regular eating pattern tho!

its me, sam said...

Rachelle, the secret sauce is canned milk, vinegar, powered sugar and garlic powder. I'm not sure of the exact break down, but if i can find a recipe for it I'll post it for you!

Rachelle said...

Nice!!! If you got that that would be fantastic! ah, so healthy sounding eh? No wonder it's so good!

Canadian Saver said...

OMG, that donair looks absolutely yummy... makes my mouth water big time!

I love Pizza Delight too :-)

Canadian Saver said...

ps we make a sauce with evaporated milk, vinegar and granulated sugar. Can never get the Pizza Delight consistency though... maybe the secret is in the powdered sugar??

Rachelle said...

I wish I had another one right now!

its me, sam said...

Its the powdered sugar and lots of whisking! I worked for the company many many many years ago... Sh, don't tell anyone.LOL

Rachelle said...

I will whisk as long as I have to to get it!

Brittany G said...

Hi Rachelle,

If you looking for a good donair this side of the border your in luck... my hometown (Belleville, Ontario) has the best little donair place. If your in the area you should check it out. Its on the main drag right off the 401, its called NOVA DELI.
probably the best donair I've ever eaten!

Rachelle said...

Serious!? I'll have to check that out next time i'm headed in that direction. thanks so much for the tip!!

Jim Barry said...

Your pizza post is 9 yrs old so I'm guessing you found a recipe for donair meat and sauce already, but in case you didn't I posted one on our web site. https://woodchuckcanuck.com/2015/09/19/homemade-donair-meat/

Unknown said...

Given that you spelled 'centre' incorrectly, please either move south or refrain from butchering the Queen's English; thank-you and God bless your anti-commonwealth soul.

On another note, many Pizza Delight locations display signage that states Pizza Delight was created in 1968, this is incorrect, in fact, Pizza Delight was first introduced at the World's Fair in Montreal in 1967.