Friday, August 21, 2009

Lobster, Salad and Berry Berry Cake


Well, it's been quite a few days since I've done any posts. My husband and I were busy cleaning out everything we could from the fridge, which resulted in less than exciting meals (I lie, they were all delicious and photo-worthy, but it's all stuff I've blogged about recently so I refrained from boring anyone with the details). Actually, I do love leftovers. It's like going to a buffet of all my favourite foods. 

We were cleaning out the fridge in preparation for our trip out east. And here we are. What better way to get things started than with lobster! I called it in the car on the way down too – I bet my mother got me some lobster, I said. She had 7! What a feast, so yummy. And served with my all-time favourite salads, broccoli, cauliflower, bacon and cheese mixed together with a light mayo, vinegar and sugar dressing. And my absolute favourite potato salad in the world, my mom's, she mashes up the potatoes with egg, celery, onions, miracle whip, mustard, celery salt and salt and pepper. I love the simplicity of this recipe and the texture of it. I prefer my potatoes mashed over anything. 


For dessert, my mom made us this delicious summery Berry Berry Cake, taken from the Kraft What's Cooking magazine. I'm not a big cake person but this one changes everything. It's so light and tasty with the lemon zest you really just can't get enough. Fresh blueberries, raspberries and a dollop of whipped cream make this dessert a keeper for sure!


And what's a great meal without great wine? We shared a bottle recommended to me by Jean-Marc and another from my dad's stash. Both fantastic. 
- 2005 Santa Julia Magna, Mendoza, Argentina
- 2006 Las Moras Reserve, Tannat, San Juan, Argentina


After dinner, a Newfoundland Port completed the meal. I love port.

I'm sure this is one of many Maritime feasts lined up for us this weekend! Thanks so much for a great start mom!

No comments: