Monday, August 3, 2009

Von’s Bistro


$$+
I am re-reviewing this restaurant because the evening I just had is worth bumping this place up to three and a half stars. I think the food still remains a three (very good), but the service tonight was too good to leave at that. It was definitely worth four. So I've decided to break my rule and do the “half” star mark on this one. The service at Von's has always been good, but never “wow”. The uber friendly long blond haired woman we had serving us tonight was exactly how it should be wherever you go but unfortunately isn't. The service can make or break your night. And when you're paying to have a nice evening out, the last thing you want is to have the person you're paying ruin it. She was fantastic, super happy, friendly and very attentive.

I've also never had dinner at Von's, only breakfast or lunch. I'm sorry I waited this long to come. It's always been consistently good when I go. I also love the atmosphere. But my appetizer tonight was more than just good. I ordered the Colossal Shrimp, grilled and served with baby spinach, oyster mushrooms, grilled fennel and an orange sesame vinaigrette. The shrimp were cooked to perfection and so flavourful.

For my main I ordered the spinach and pesto Ravioli served in a roasted red pepper rosé sauce, also very yummy. My friends enjoyed their evening very much and 2 of them went with the Filet Mignon, 8oz of marinated beef tenderloin cooked rare and medium rare with a wild mushroom and green peppercorn cognac cream sauce and served with chive mashed potatoes. It looked really good! But I'm very sad to say that because I had already reviewed this restaurant before, I didn't bring my camera. I didn't think I'd be writing about it again. But I am, and I have no photos to show, which is very sad. I'll have to go again and get some photos to stick over this post.

To drink we had a Merlot, 2006 Sandhill Okanagan BC. And for dessert, a tasty Cranberry Almond Tart, the perfect way to end a relaxing, laid back evening.

Apps range from $8 to $15 and mains from $18 to $29.


Von's Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments: